With loads of heartfelt encouragement from my friends (and of course being cheered on by Mia and Harrison) I am hosting GLAM It Up For Charity for the 13th year, in two weeks (YES TWO WEEKS!!!) on Friday night 25th October 2019 at the stunning riverside location of Jellyfish Restaurant – and I would LOVE for you to come along. Link to book tickets here.
Each year I select a different, small, grass roots Queensland charity, helping vulnerable women and children. This year, the charity is Zephyr Education Inc a Brisbane based charity that help children affected by domestic violence get back to school as soon as possible. Last year alone Zephyr helped 2800 children with practical support such as school shoes, lunch boxes, book lists and uniforms. Sal and I have just visited Zephyr and their work is nothing short of inspiring. Isabella and her husband David (plus a load of amazing volunteers including Isabella’s sister Carmel) run this 100% volunteer organisation “in their retirement” out of their garage, and are currently supporting 98 domestic violence shelters across Queensland, Tasmania and WA.
To give you an example of how the funds raised will be spent:
$250 will pay for a primary school uniform including shoes and sports uniform
$150 will pay for a school bag containing stationery, textbooks lunchbox and water bottle
$50 will purchase a pair of good quality school shoes and socks (we stretch our dollar by purchasing stock from school suppliers at wholesale prices)
$20 will purchase a prep pack or stationery items or lunch boxes and water bottles.
GLAM is only a success because of the amazing community (you) who support it each year, and I would be very grateful for your support again this year. Please gather your glam gang, both guys and gals and book your tickets to celebrate GLAM being a teenager. Even if you can’t attend this year, there are a couple of other ways you can get involved:
- Buy some raffle tickets – purchase raffle tickets here
- Make a donation to the GLAM total (all donations will receive a tax deductible receipt from Zephyr) Make a donation here.
- Donate a reverse goodie bag – collect and donate school supplies in a bag to the event, or drop to me pre event. Examples of items needed are at the end of this post. Write a comment on this post and I can get in touch with a drop off address.
Thank you for being part of GLAM gang – I am very grateful for your constant support!
Zephyr like to give new items because when the child receives the pack it makes it even more special. Often these kids have never had anything new in their lives.
We can still use slightly used items in good condition. These are useful because we distributed this stock to the shelters for in house use.
- Children’s underwear all sizes
- Sanitary items (this means young girls in indigenous shelters don’t miss out on going to school because they are having their periods)
- Any kind of marker pens, felt pens, crayons, colour pencils and general stationery
- Good quality pencil cases
- Activity books
- Lunch boxes
- Sunblock (for school swimming lessons)
- Small novelty Prep bags such as Super Heroes, Frozen etc (always nice to be able to supply something a little different for the very young prep children)